Monday, August 11, 2008

Yoga mat smudging



Yesterday we took a yoga class taught by a friend of Mistress Herbalist's. During one pose, she instructed us to "release your day out onto the mat." And it hit me, we've never smudged Mistress' yoga mat. I've never heard of anyone smudging their mat. Or keeping it cleared with another method. After class, I took my rented day-splattered mat, rolled it up, and stuck in on a shelf with several other rentals. They're disinfected at some point, I'm sure. I hope. But are they cleared?

Maybe it's a non-issue. Maybe the yoga practice itself, since it releases stress, keeps us from taking in any mat trapped stress. Or very possibly an uncleared mat could keep a yoga routine from being as productive and relaxing as possible.

I'm curious if anyone else smudges or otherwise clears their yoga mat. Or doesn't believe it's necessary.

No comments: